1) If you are a casual player or haven't played any comparable strategy game before, we highly recommend to switch to the difficulty setting Easier. Even on 'Normal' difficulty some of the scenarios require you to consider your moves very carefully.
You can change the game difficulty at any time via 'Game Options' in the main menu.
2) The difficulty settings 'Harder' and 'Hardest' are meant for experienced players only.
3) The main goal in (almost) all scenarios is to conquer enemy barracks. As long as the opponent has barracks left, he will be able to replace fallen units with fresh troops. Whether you lure away the opponents from their own barracks to conquer it, or just use brute force, is up to you.
4) Check the map carefully for palisades. Each conquered palisade will increase your maximum army size by one while the maximum army size of the opponent will be decreased at the same time.
5) It is NOT required that your units have a higher level than the opponents. If your main units have about the same level as the enemy (or even 1 or 2 levels lower) you should be perfectly fine to beat a scenario.
6) Vary the attribute focus of your troops to give them individual strengths. Some of your warriors could focus on MOV, for example. Focussing all of your troops on damage is not necessarily the best choice.
7) Once you have conquered all enemy barracks, you can use lower level units to finish off the remaining opponents. This way your low level chars can catch up level-wise. Bandits are an excellent choice for this task since they can grant you some extra money with their skill Purse Strike.
8) Ignore treasure chests until you are sure that you will win a scenario. Usually you cannot afford to waste your troops on treasure collecting in the beginning.
9) You don't have to level up all of your units to the highest level. Even low level units can be very useful:
- Cannon fodder / feint attack: Move 2 or 3 low level chars towards an enemy barracks to lure the opponents. Conquer another enemy barracks in the meantime with strong / fast units.
- Set the focus on MOV and use them for conquering unguarded palisades
- Set the focus on HP and use them for Juliet’s Sacrifice skill during the first turn(s)
10) Assassins are an invaluable asset if used properly. Don't waste them at the front line by using them like warriors. Assassins excel at:
- Intercepting enemies who get too close to your own barracks
- One-shot-kill mages, shamans and witches with their skill Assassinate
- Sneak up to and conquer unguarded enemy barracks
11) Mages are your main damage dealers. With their AOE skills (area of effect) they can wipe out several units in one turn. Just make sure to keep them out of archer range.
12) In some situations it is smarter not to kill an opponent outright. Keep in mind that a defeated opponent will be replaced by another unit, as long as the enemy has still barracks available and the maximum number of enemies on the battlefield wasn't reached yet.